Hudswell Clarke - No. 102 “Cathryn” - Restoration
The Association’s third steam locomotive “Cathryn” is well into its restoration, and once completed it could provide a regular steam service between Wirksworth and Duffield.
Current Restoration Progress
The brake control apparatus consisting of an "SJ" ejector and a steam brake control value has been installed in the cab. A vacuum pipe from the "SJ" ejector has been installed to both the front and rear buffer beams. At the buffer beams, drain values for any accumulated water in the vacuum pipe have been installed and the vacuum bags with its connections have been attached. This will allow the loco's vacuum pipe to be coupled to the vacuum fitted rolling stock so that when the driver makes a brake application it will also apply the brakes on the rolling stock which it is coupled to.
Steam heating pipes from the front and rear buffer beams have also been installed, both leading into the cab with heat resistant pipe lagging being applied to various parts of this pipework. The pipework is Teed-off which will eventually be connected to the steam manifold on the top of the boiler when it returns.
This pipe to the steam manifold valve will have an on/off value, and downstream of this a regulation value, which will allow the footplate crew to adjust the steam pressure in this pipe depending on the length of the train and heating demands.
Drain valves, which allow for any condensed water which has accumulated in the pipework when the locomotive is not in use to be drained away, have been installed as well as a new pressure safety valve for this system and two steam heat bags to allow the steam to flow into the carriages to provide heating to them.
Boiler pressure gauge, vacuum gauge for the brakes and steam heating pressure gauge have all been fitted to the cab front, including the new whistle fitted outside. The original rear buffers have been refitted to the rear buffer beam following modifications which should provide a smoother ride but will be proven during its trial run under its own steam.
The water injectors which will be located on the boiler backplate have had their components completely dismantled, cleaned and reassembled. The injector bodies have had all the old paint removed and several coats of heat resistance red paint have been applied so that they are the same colour (or as close to) as what they would have been traditionally painted in its previous working life. Several final topcoats are yet to be applied.
Side steps to allow the footplate crew to re-fill the water-side tanks during a day's operation have been designed and the technical drawings have been sent away for component manufacture. This will also allow the driver access to fill the oil lubricators and other oiling points before leaving the steam shed in the morning and the Fireman to clean the Smokebox out at the end of the day.
The reversing lever has had a repaint into "signal red" colour, and bearing oil is being applied to the various valve gear components frequently to prevent the motion from becoming stiff to operate. The Whistle has been installed and the whistle chain has been attached to the cab roof.
The boiler has been returned to the railway and reintegrated with the rest of the locomotive following work at an external contractor to restore it to a working condition.
The locomotive is now in its final stages of being reassembled which once completed, hopefully before the end of 2021, may operate a regular passenger service between Wirksworth and Duffield in conjunction with other locos which have recently become resident or will be on loan from other railways.
Donate to our Locomotive & Carriage Club
£5 - text LCC 5
£10 - text LCC 10
£20 - text LCC 20
Alternatively, to give any other whole amount between £1 and £20 text LCC followed by a space and then the amount you wish to donate to 70085
Texts cost your donation + one standard network rate message.
Download our 'Locomotive & Carriage Club' leaflet 'here'
First designed for the Port of London Authority in 1915, this class of engine continued in production at Hudswell and Clarke of Leeds until the end of steam locomotive production there. This example, number S102 (works number 1884/55), named Cathryn, was purchased in 1944 for work at Newmarket Colliery, Stanley, Wakefield, where it worked, except for occasional repairs at the central workshops (NCB Allerton Bywater) until 1969, with its sister locomotive S103 1864/52.
After repairs, it was then drafted to St Johns Colliery, Wakefield and it alternated between there and Park Hill Colliery, Wakefield, until the end of its working life in March 1977. It has been in store at S. Harrison, Tinsley; then the South Yorks Preservation Society at Penistone and Meadowhall; and the Elsecar Steam Railway, prior to coming to the EVR.
A number of these locomotives were converted by the NCB to the gas production system which entailed them being provided with underfeed stokers, and this also required the conversion of the funnel to a characteristic conical design which Cathryn now has.
The "Railway Executive" plate which can be seen on the tank sides is a license plate which indicates that the locomotive is authorised for mainline working: so it is very likely that one of the collieries at which Cathryn worked had mainline exchange sidings which required her to make short journeys onto the mainline to despatch or collect wagons. The principal livery of these small, powerful engines was a handsomely lined maroon. Though powerful, the class was not renowned for the smoothness of operation.
There are others in operation on other heritage railways.